Had the opportunity to have a ride this afternoon around north Leeds.

By chance I found a very enjoyable route with a few steep uphills and plenty of long down hills. A nice ride on a sunny day.

Route 2,590,342 – powered by www.bikemap.net

I am still fixing the final little issues after my switch from Fedora to Mint and this morning came across a problem with i3status and its battery reporting. The default setup stated there was no battery, clearly an issues as I was running on battery power at the time with my laptop.

The fix turned out to be quite easy (on Linux Mint 16 XFCE),

Firstly you need an i3status.conf file that you can edit,

cp /etc/i3status.conf ~/.i3status.conf

then edit .i3status.conf

nano .i3status.conf

then change the references to battery 0 to battery 1


order += "battery 0"
order += "battery 1"


battery 0 {<br /> format = "%status %percentage %remaining"<br /> }


battery 1 {<br /> format = "%status %percentage %remaining"<br /> }

finally I don’t like the estimated time feature so this gets rid of it

battery 1 {<br /> format = "%status %percentage" # %remaining"<br /> }

Having decided to have a change from Fedora on my netbook I decided to install Linux Mint 16 XFCE edition (This is the simple version of that story, more detailed version to come!). The install of Mint was very easy, quick and to be honest very impressive however I wanted to install i3-wm as a prefer titling window managers and the reduced memory use is useful on my netbook.

Having installed the meta package within Mint I was impressed to be offered the opportunity to boot into i3 however I found that dmenu had not been installed. This seamed a bit weird as the meta package does mention it by name. The first sign of the problem is when you try and launch dmenu is does not work.

To confirm the problem just run (in a terminal)

dmenu -v

This should fail to find anything in which case just run

apt-get install dmenu

Once dmenu is installed it should just start working.

So its passing should be marked in someway and while the extra online version is not yet ready for public consumption my PhD has been handed in with its corrections done. I believe this marks the end of the process though I will only considered it completely done when Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Professor Charles Xavier handed it to me!!

As a consequence of post PhD life I am now playing more board games Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan and more recently Ticket of Ride, though the risk gaming has not restarted.

I am also ridding my bike more than before and intend to travel via bike as part of the summer holiday.

Work wise I had the opportunity to return to Huddersfield University to do some more Max stuff as well as continuing with my duties at Leeds College of Music teaching Max, Ableton Live and Max 4 Live.

My research interests have shifted slightly and I am becoming more interested in the effects of technology on the defining of genre something I have been exploring with a class recently. However I am currently exploring opportunities around investigating the purpose of feedback to adult learners.

The two main current distractions in my life are currently Ingress, a GPS game for Android phones and Settlers online which I intend to quit in a few weeks time.

The Audio Podcast continues and I have plans to start a few other podcast in the near future about robotic bikes that gather sage.

I suspect that a few new websites will come into existence soon as well about board games and I still need to find some developer baiting and farmer following to do!!

I also plan to work out how to survive post gmail (in case I ever need to).

A couple of days again the command line client I use to run my Twitter accounts TTYtter stopped working. I finally had a chance to explore why and discovered it was due to the fact that twitter have moved to SSL only.

So if you are running TTYtter 2.1.0 and getting the error message,

*** warning: timeout or no data

then starting with -ssl or putting ssl=1 in your .ttytterrc may fix it (thanks to @tjh for the fix).